Let’s start with BPA. BPA is found in products we use everyday such as plastic beverage bottles, food containers, plastic dinnerware, thermal paper receipts (shiny like the ones from your ATM machine), and the lining of many canned foods. BPA can displace estrogen in the human body, basically taking up space where estrogen is supposed to be working. Side effects include early puberty, reproductive dysfunction, onset of type 2 diabetes, and an increased risk of breast and prostate cancers.
Triclosan is an antibacterial and antifungal agent. It’s found in deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash, antibacterial hand soaps and lotions, cleaning supplies and shaving cream. Triclosan can cause thyroid disruption (think weight gain!) and can raise testosterone levels in the human body. Do you know any women who have anger or aggression issues? This could be part of the cause. Side effects associated with Triclosan include steroid and thyroid hormone imbalance, and behavioral problems in children such as ADD/ADHD. Women are frequent users of antibacterial hand wipes and gels, and many carry a small bottle of it on their key chains. We even use antibacterial agents on our children. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it. Are we keeping our children “too clean?”
4-Nonylphenol is another endocrine disruptor that binds to estrogen receptors and affects the immune system and nervous system. It’s commonly found in laundry detergents and pesticides. There is a very good chance you’re absorbing 4-Nonylphenol through your skin from your clothes and in the produce you eat if it’s not organic.
What to do?
- Download the shopping guide for pesticides in your produce www.foodnews.org
- Drink from stainless steel water bottles and purchase other prepared beverages in a glass bottle
- Switch to a natural and safe hand sanitizers like Clean Well www.cleanwelltoday.com
- When accepting a receipt, fold inward so as not to touch the shiny side
- Switch from commercial brand laundry soaps to safer lines that have no chemicals like Poppy’s Naturally Clean www.poppysnaturallyclean.com or Ecos brand http://www.ecos.com/
- Buy frozen foods over canned foods. Or buy Eden canned foods. They are BPA free with the exception of their tomato products http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=178
To learn more about safe and natural options for alleviating symptoms of hormone imbalance, and other health conditions, contact Karen Roth at 818-400-5410 or visit www.KarenRothNutrition.com Offices in Carlsbad, Sorrento Valley and Mission Valley in San Diego.